Monday, April 20, 2009

Our Allies during the Reign of the Empty Suit


Whether a deliberate policy or not, it is clear that the Obama administration is not interested in defending Western culture or maintaining relationships with our 'natural' allies. I use the term 'natural' to mean Western-style democracies, not exclusively nations we have long-standing friendships with. In this article, the second of a continuing series, we track the decisions and actions of our erstwhile allies whilst our president spends his time sucking up to dictators. I think we'll spend time tracking the two 'I's quite a bit. Of course I mean India and Israel. I think we'll be tracking them for a few reasons. Primarily, they are the two western-style democracies that are on the front line against militant Islam. Secondly, they are fairly recent products of Western Imperialism, in particular of the British Empire. Thirdly, and this probably tied to the second reason, they are successful democracies surrounded by a world of dictatorships, true monarchies, and anarchy.
Anyway, in our second article on this subject since this blog's creation (still the month of April!) we see another example of Indo-Israeli cooperation: India launches an Israeli-designed spy satellite. Its purpose is to monitor Pakistan mostly. I wonder what Israel gets out of the deal...? Surveillance of Iran...? Landing field for bombers after a long flight to Iran...?

5 comments:

  1. What do you mean our second article? I don't follow.

    As far as independent action I think we're going to be looking more to India as Pakistan falls apart. And I'm an erst while proponent of our Israeli friends and protecting them in the region. However, I'm firmly against (what everyone keeps talking about over here), an Israeli strike against Iranian nuclear facilities. If there is to be a strike (and I'm vacillating on this a great deal), it must be from the US. Although I think that moment is still a long way off reason being:

    -Iran is a simmering revolution. Their continued isolation from the world is damning them economically and is one of the loudest calls for reform domestically (especially when oil hits new lows). The only thing that would unite the population would be a strike from Israel. Since Iran would likely be impotent to retaliate (either we or Israel would shoot down their POS SSMs, they would resort to what they do best: Hezbollah and terrorism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above is why you should preview before post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've edited the article to clear up what I meant regarding "second article". Thanks for pointing out my ambiguous writing!

    Well, yes regarding the simmering revolution, but it's been simmering for quite some time. Maybe the US can afford to wait them out, but if I were sitting in Tel Aviv listening to the fanatic that leads Iran tell me that my country should be wiped off the map as Iran proceeds at full speed to go nuclear, I wouldn't have a lot of patience or comfort. And our Vacillator In Chief is NOT going to take out Iran's nukes. It's Israel or no one.

    Whether it's in the US's best interests for Israel to do that is another question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Obama even address these topics? What does he say about them? He can't be totally oblivious to what is going on. By the way, we should rename this blog to The Peoples Front of Judea Talking Points. "So we gotta get up off our asses and stop just talking about it!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Melkor can sew the seeds of an aggressive capitalist nation that respects individual liberty and initiative in Madagascar, and we can all move there when things are set up.

    ReplyDelete