Monday, May 18, 2009

This is Rock #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IcEMdmASxc&feature=related

I have to involve Green Day in the This Is Rock topics.
I remember growing up at the house on Towle and building my collection of tapes. I loved to listen to them on my head phones and rock out. Up until third or fourth grade I only had Beatles, Rolling Stones, and old Aerosmith(same old song and dance from 72 i think). Most of these tapes were blessed upon me by Father Robinson. I bought Green Day Dookie with my own money and it was the first album I had ever purchased on my own developed taste for music. This album helped shape my interest in music and holds a special spot in my heart. They are another band that has gone the way of the hippie though. But they rocked the early nineties.

3 comments:

  1. Great song and great live show by the guitarist and bassist, though their great drummer could show a little more life while he's playing.

    Here's a sad little tale: When Green Day first were big I loved them. I just about bought Dookie before ToeJamm did. But Green Day was the first band where I could see you kids getting into it, and being old enough to understand the lyrics and I thought "I don't need to be encouraging this". I wasn't going to stop you from listening to it, just not going to encourage it. And I got to the point that I didn't like Green Day because you guys liked it so much and I knew what they sang about and I knew you knew what they sang about. I liked the music and liked the songs but didn't like it when I thought of you guys listening to it. And from that day on, I'd say I started withdrawing from always trying (at least in my own mind) to be on the cutting edge musically. Dookie did dat to me! It'll be interesting to see how that goes with Dat Boy of Yours, ToeJamm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think linking to you tube is better than posting the video myself. I'm going to use your method henceforth, Toejamm. Bigger screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be perfectly honest with you, I had no clue what they sang about. I read the lyrics but didn't really grasp what they mean now. I am notorious for not understanding songs. I still don't pay attention to the meaning of lyrics. I just like or dislike how they are delivered. If songs are very obvious and blunt, then I understand them. For the most part though, I just rock out. I still couldn't tell you off the top of my head what most Green Day Dookie songs were about.

    ReplyDelete