Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Senator Saxby Chambliss's response to my email on the Cap and Trade bill.


I wrote to my senator, who I had to vote for two times, stating my concern for this climate change bill that is before the Senate: "I am writing to urge you not to support the Cap and Trade bill ,H.R. 2454, that just passed the house. I am against it due to the fact that it is nothing but a huge tax increase, and I am concerned about the effects this bill will have on the economy. Most of the negative effects won't be felt until after 2020, and around the same time the negative effects from the huge deficits that the Federal government is amassing will be affecting the economy; this could lead to a one-two punch that could put America's current and future economic well being and prosperity in great danger. I am greatly concerned about the negative effects that the level of government involvement in the economy will have, and I can not support anyone that would support putting America's future in danger."

He gave me a response that he probably gives to all of his email about this bill: "Dear Mr. Dean:
Thank you for contacting me regarding global climate change. I appreciate hearing from you.
Climate change is an important issue that deserves serious and thorough debate. The current legislative proposals to address climate change would have a dramatic effect on our economy and the way we all live. The Senate is considering climate change legislation that would affect our nation for many years to come. Any system that is created to address this issue must be understandable to taxpayers, including consumers and small businesses. Citizens need to be aware of the effects of any proposal and how it will impact them. As Congress continues the debate on climate change, I will focus on several main principles. Climate change legislation should encourage economic growth and protect American jobs. It also must be capable of adjusting to changing scientific findings, economic conditions, and the actions of other countries. We should continue to focus on science-based technologies to become more energy efficient and secure our energy future in the midst of our increasing energy demands. To do this in an environmentally friendly way, we must continue to develop and use alternative energy sources including nuclear energy. As climate change legislation is debated in the Senate, I will examine it in accordance with these principles and I will keep your comments in mind. If you would like to receive timely email alerts regarding the latest Congressional actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance."

If the American people knew the true effects of this bill I doubt they will support it. How will this climate change legislation encourage economic growth? Green jobs in Spain destroyed jobs according to Dr. Calazda. For every green job created it cost 2.2 jobs in the private sector. Adjust to scientific findings, the EPA has a report stating that man made global warming is a hoax. Actions of other countries, China, the world's major carbon emitter, is not going to slow their massive economic growth down with any environmental regulations. Why would America be the only country to do this to its economy? Without the rest of the world limiting their carbon emissions there will be no major impact on the climate. I agree that we should develop alternative energy sources; and we should especially use nuclear energy. President Obama said that it is OK for Iran to develop nuclear technology to meet its energy needs. Why can't America? A major goal and effect of this bill is to transfer wealth from rich countries to the poor countries: to build up the rest of the world--a more equitable distribution of the wealth around the world. The only way to stop this bill is for Americans to contact their representatives and inform them of their concerns. This bill will not pass in its current form, but it will probably pass in some form. This bill will have a major impact on YOUR life within the next decade or more. I encourage you to write to your representatives. You can find them and the information to contact them at vote smart.org.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Jeff! Yes, we should all be writing, though it's a lost cause here in Oregon. Not an excuse not to write though!

    ReplyDelete