Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fair Weather Fans?


Baseball season is getting interesting and I'm happy to report that RTP's very own Seattle Mariners are still in the thick of the post season hunt. My wife and I are so excited that we are actually going to a REAL LIVE GAME at Safeco this upcoming wednesday.

This season though, has made me realize that Connolly's accusations of me being a fair weather baseball fan were true. A couple years back Connolly said that you are only a true fan if you can name your starting lineup and all your bull pen. Not to mention have just as much passion for those shitty seasons.

I used to think that I was a real fan but now I am feeling a little doubt. I can name the Mariners starting line up and the bull pen but this is the first year that I am confident in doing that. This along with the fact that this is the first year in a long time that we are in the position that we are in makes me believe that I am only a fan when the Mariners are doing well. Maybe my new passion for the team will carry over to the inevitable bad seasons that will follow and redeem my fanhood.

I can say, however, that I am a true fan of the Blazers and the Seahawks. I stood by the Hawks during every pathetic game last year and never faltered. I will also give the new Timbers an attempt.

I understand that some people have different lives and don't meddle in worshiping millionaires playing a game. But can anyone else on RTP say that they are a real fan of any sports team? And if not, were you ever?

4 comments:

  1. Uhm, people shouldn't get too excited about millionaires playing a game. There I said it. Or maybe say rather, "I'm a big Mariners fan. Now jump you millionaire monkeys, make us proud, or we'll find someone else who can."

    That said, Go Mariners, I'm really enjoying this season! And ToeJamm, you and Ashley have a great time at the game!

    I can name every player on the Seattle Sonics' Championship team starting lineup, plus their 6th man, Downtown Freddy Brown. Let's see: Lonnie Shelton - Strong Forward, John Johnson - other forward, Jack Sikma - center, Dennis Johnson - shooting guard (I think), Gus Johnson - Point Guard (I think). A lot of Johnsons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not that in to sports. I played badminton and hit a few balls and played catch with my brother when we were kids.

    I watch my baseball team play a little bit while at work on break. I noticed a lot of people are now Red Sox fans since they have and are doing well. I support the my team although I can name only a few players on the team, most of them have left. I think most people are fair weather fans--they just support the winning team, just human nature.

    I can't understand getting into watching sports when you are not playing. People act like they are the ones playing when they watch a game. They have no impact on the game. Just because you support a winning team doesn't reflect on you at all. People try to piggy back off of a team's success and state how that means they are a winner too and they are great. I just can't get into watching sports. I don't understand how recognizing a winning team or player can make one feel like a winner. I do think there is some fun in watching sports, but I can't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its almost like if the biggest baddest dude from engineer company called out connolly to represent our company in a fight. you want connolly to win cause he represents you. I know that connolly would be a lot closer to you but that is kind of how it is. The mariners have seattle on their chests(I'm from portland but seattle is the northwest). They represent us even though most of them can't speak english. Sports give people who have nothing something to root for. Its a hobby.

    BTW
    The mariners just lost three in a row and things are looking grim. I'll have to light a fire under ichiro's ass from right field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, that's why Gresham High School is whom I really support because they are really from here.

    I agree with you. You still have to root for them, even if, like the Oregon Ducks, they're all from California. Unless something better comes around.

    How come they're sucking against Cleveland?!

    ReplyDelete