Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Entertaining video!


This is a fairly entertaining video from Pajamas TV. I got off of Boortz.com. The video paraphrases Tocqueville's chapter on Despotism. When President Obama is compared to Xerxes from the movie 300, I don't know whether to consider it a hyperbole and laugh at it or to take it seriously, I lean towards laughing. If you want to read the what the video is based off of, this is the link to the chapter 'What sort of Despotism Democratic nations Have to Fear' from Tocqueville's 'Democracy in America'.

Tocqueville did appear to detect and predict how a free nation such as America could fall into tyranny fairly accurately. (The point about degrading us through "our animal pleasures" is related to the point I was trying to get across about morality a while back.) There is some truth to the statement that the video makes about the government wanting people to depend on them as their sole provider, but it goes some what overboard on the comparison of Obama to Xerxes. Anyways, an entertaining video well worth the five minutes it takes to watch it.

12 comments:

  1. Very good, quick lesson to put some spine in conservatives. Klavan compares the two kind men nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post.
    Hey Dean, you should join GPC's speech and debate team. I think it will help your speaking skills. You obviously have the knowledge to slam a liberal but you lack the speaking skills. It can also get you comfortable around others. Since your school holds you as a minority, it would be a real eye opener to slam Obama around his brain washed supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about doing that. I will build my skills. I just have to watch out for all of those Obama T-shirt wearing people who might get angry. I will have to go about it in a smart manner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are doing speech and debate within the confines of a school, you have nothing physically to worry about. Don't be a wuss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Video!!! Totally true! Also reflects the problem in general with democracies as well. Plato warned of the dangers of the tyranny of poor in that, by giving the poor the right to vote, they won't demand for what is necessarily good for the state but for what is good for themselves. They'll vote selfishly and thus bring down the state.

    That's why universal suffrage is BS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real men stand up and crush their opponents with their ideas. No typing anonymously from behind a computer, constantly editing a post before it goes out... If you want to actually face a liberal and give them what's what, gird your loins and do debate!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obviously fearing retaliation is not a reason to not do debate. That would be allowing other people to determine your choice of action and your future. Some of the people around here can act like animals when they get in crowds. I was only stating I would have to be smart and not personal about my criticism. I do see your point about hiding behind a computer.

    Universal suffrage is one of the reasons for the state of America. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could never do debate. Put me in a formal setting and I freeze up. I would dread it every second of the day. Not for me. But, I admire people who can do it!
    Three Classes of People who should be allowed to Vote:
    1. Active duty or veteran military and their spouses
    2. Home/property owners
    3. Married people

    Group 1 has proven their devotion to the country by agreeing to die for it.
    Group 2 is vested in seeing good government and, by definition, pays more than their fair share of taxes.
    Group 3 is whom we depend on to raise the future

    ReplyDelete
  10. What if you were born with a disability that banned you from joining the military and hurt your ability to become wealthy and own property and women thought you were ugly so you couldn't get married. Like being blind or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I fall under all of those categories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ....still only one vote.....douche

    :)

    ReplyDelete