Sunday, October 24, 2010

NPR fires Juan Williams for saying what he Thinks

National Public Radio fires Juan Williams, supposedly for saying on the Bill O'Reilly Show on Fox:
“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country,” Williams said Monday. “But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”


Wow.  An honest statement, that probably 90% of America would say, "yeah, me too", if asked.  I would bet that the vast majority of the ultra-libs that run NPR, if they are being honest with themselves, would agree with him.  But supposedly, this 'outrageous' statement got him branded a racist and fired by NPR. According to NPR 'CEO' Vivian Schiller:
controversial opinions should not come from NPR reporters or news analysts.
and followed that directive up with
Schiller said Williams' feelings about Muslims should be between him and "his psychiatrist or his publicist - take your pick."
Schiller apologized for the last comment later.

So, does anybody buy NPR's story regarding the firing?  I've watched and listened to Juan Williams for years on NPR and Fox.  He's certainly a liberal, but he isn't close-minded, and seems like a genuinely nice guy.  He wrote a universally acclaimed and famous book called "Eyes on the Prize: America's Civil Rights Years, 1954-1965" as well as a biography of Thurgood Marshall.

I think his statement on Fox was an excuse that Schiller used to fire him.  I suppose most people think that.  Williams' sin againts NPR and liberals in general is to appear on Fox.  Liberals hate Fox with a white-hot hate, because it has been critical in breaking through the media wall, which NPR itself is a gigantic part of, which has enabled liberals to control the media narrative for decades.  Williams' presence on Fox helps to legitimize Fox to open-minded liberals and blacks, something that cannot be tolerated by the Left, or their already-breaking-up media wall will completely collapse.

This may be just a coincidence, but leftist billionare and Rupert Murdoch/Fox-hating  George Soros donated $1.8 million to NPR on Monday, right before Williams was fired.

This may be another case of Leftists' intense hatred of conservatives forcing them into doing or saying foolish things.  The blatant bias shown in this firing is going to give Republicans a good chance to push de-funding National Public Radio, particularly in America's current anti-big government mood.  According to what I've seen, only 2% of NPR's budget comes directly from the government (ie taxpayers), but a whole bunch of it comes from member stations who also are publically funded.  It seems to me that this foolish firing is going to work out to be a coup for Fox and quite possibly a loss of funding for NPR...oh and also a coup for Juan Williams himself, who has just gotten a raise and more air-time from Fox in response to this incident.  Though I honestly believe that Williams is sad to leave NPR.

6 comments:

  1. NPR looks horrible in all this. No matter how left or ignorant or stupid you are, the reasoning for the firing does not make sense. The quote was an honest statement. I can't imagine how he could be blamed for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch NPR. But I have read that it is very liberal. I don't even know why we have the NPR? It is outdated as there are pleanty of news sources now which wasn't the case when NPR was founded. I think the Soros connection is interesting. If I had that much money, I would also use it to help advance my world view. Although helping to collapse nation's currencies is a little over the top. He is know as the man that broke the bank of England. Or something like that.

    The whole Political Correctness is being carried way to far and like I satirically stated in my post 2 months back on mind control, this level of PC is a form of mind control. Think of all the times you have to censor yourself or your thoughts. As I read one commentator state, we will have to discuss our real thoughts in our bathrooms like they did in Soviet Russia.

    I don't agree with Juan Williams on a lot of issues, but I think he was unfairly fired. I would really rather not have to see him on Fox News, but it is "fair and balanced" so it might as well be Juan. I read a black person is supposed to toe a certain political thought and not go against it. Look at Clarence Thomas. So Juan must pay the price for not toeing the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone broke in to both my cars last night. Just found out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shouldnt say "broke in" because our doors were unlocked. My white ass keeps forgetting I'm not in suburbia anymore. Because my house is hidden away a little bit I don't always think to lock my doors back there.

    It makes me feel violated though. I feel like becoming a vigilante and putting my car out on the street and waiting in the bushes for some low life to come by and try to break in. Then jump out with my bat and break their legs and call the cops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May need to get a dog or install security lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sit out there with a gun and shot em if they are adults or have some eggs to throw on them if they are teenagers and a cell phone to call the police.

    The unemployment rate for teenagers is higher than the general population by a large margin. This might contribute to teenagers going more into crime. Or the fact that they are being
    raised by single parent homes.

    Hopefully nothing was stolen.

    ReplyDelete